Region A / Profile 2.0
HDMI output: 7.1
Analog output: 7.1
Blu-ray / DVD / CD
- Blu-ray 3D support: Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-93 supports the new Blu-ray 3D specifications (3D television and glasses required).
- Netflix Instant Streaming Ready: Instantly watch movies streamed to your TV via the Internet connected OPPO Blu-ray Disc Player. (Unlimited membership required. US only)
- Blockbuster on Demand: The newest releases instantly from your couch! (Service available in the United States only)
- Additional network streaming features will be announced once partners certify the player. Oppo has divulged several of their potential partners to us and users should not be disappointed.
- Qdeo by Marvell: The BDP-93 incorporates Marvell’s Kyoto-G2 video processor with the second generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-93 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-93 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements.
- Dual HDMI outputs: The two HDMI ports can be configured to support separate video and audio paths, or to support two displays at the same time.
- SACD: The BDP-93 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.
- Additional Disc & Media Formats: Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, DivX, MKV, FLAC, WAV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs, USB or eSATA drives can be played back on the BDP-93.
- DLNA Certified: This will allow you to stream any audio or video files directly to your HDTV from your PC or other DLNA devices.
- True 24p™ Video: Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie’s theatrical release. The BDP-93 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience.
- Source Direct Mode: For users who wish to use an external video processor, high-end audio/video receiver or display, the BDP-93 offers a “Source Direct” mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
- Wireless & Ethernet: Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from provides such as Netflix, Blockbuster etc., playback contents on their home network, and update firmware to keep up with new Blu-ray releases.
The design of the BDP-93 has addressed some problems of the BDP-83. Some consumers complained about the disc loading tray being fragile and rather loud. The new BDP-93 disc loading tray retracts extremely tight to the front panel, that it can hardly be seen when closed. This hi-tech effect, along with the brushed aluminum face plate and flush buttons, gives the player a unique look. One that will stand out in a crowd. Roughly the same size as the BDP-83, the BDP-93 overall design is a very attractive one that should appeal to many of us.
Almost every possible video connection is available with the BDP-93. It has Component Video Outputs, Composite Video Outputs and dual 1.4 HDMI Outputs. Having two HDMI Outputs, will allow you to have different configurations for your video and audio. Ensuring the best possible quality for both audio and video signals. You can have one HDMI cable connected to your 3D HDTV and the other HDMI connection going to your non-3D A/V receiver. One of the added benefits to this arrangement is you do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to be 3D capable. The HDMI Outputs are also callable of being used in parallel. Meaning you can connect both HDMI Outputs to different visual displays at the same time and even configured them to different video resolutions.
The video quality features has everything you expect from an Oppo player and does not disappoint. The video processing is done by a Marvell Kyoto-G2 processor with the second generation Qdeo™ technology. This provides edge enhancements, video noise reduction, intelligent color, compression artifact reduction, detail and contrast. There is a Source Direct Mode for those wanting to send a non-processed audio or video signal to be processed externally. It also has DVD-Up-Converting, True 24p Video and Multiple Zoom Modes.
The audio connections for the BDP-93 include the dual HDMI Outputs, Digital Audio: Coaxial and Optical and Analog Audio Outputs: 7.1-channels. One audio output that is missing from the BDP-93 is the dedicated stereo outputs. The reasoning behind Oppo’s decision to remove stereo output is that the Blu-ray Player did not need them, as most consumers will connect to an A/V receiver. However there is a built-in bass management option to convert the 7.1 audio signal to stereo. Of course the BDP-93 supports internal decoding and bit-stream of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
The BDP-93 is a universal Blu-ray Player, so it is capable of playing all disc formats; even SACD and DVD-Audio discs. Supported media and files for the BDP-93 include: DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, MKV, DivX, MP4, AVCHD, WAV and FLAC files. These files can be played back on the BDP-93 via the two USB Ports or the eSATA Port located on the back. eSATA Ports allows for whole hard drives to be connected.
Along with 3D capability, networking and online streaming services is perhaps one of the biggest additions to the BDP-93. The wireless internet connection makes for easy access to online services such as Netflix, CinemaNow and Blockbuster on Demand. Oppo is constantly working on bringing more online partners on-board and should become available soon.
Overall the new 3D Universal Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Player has done something remarkable. It has given us an upgraded Blu-ray Player, with major improvements and added features, without increasing the price. Like the Oppo BDP-83 before it, the BDP-93 seems like the benchmark for all other Blu-ray players to be judge by.